Preparing: Christmas Tree

Yes, this is my Christmas tree. (Please excuse the modem photo bombing.) It is a 6 ft. tall fake, and I love it. This is my first tree. I picked it out from the store, I bought the lights for it, and I decided what decorations would go on it. I know it isn't big or bursting with ornaments and garland, but it is full of meaning for me. A few of the ornaments are gifts from family and friends: a hand-painted glass ball, a purple sparkly snowflake, a gold and blue fish from China, a heart given as a graduation gift, a giraffe bell from Mexico, the angel at the very top, a Russian Easter egg, wood cutout Nativity scenes. Most of these gifts were not intended to be Christmas tree ornaments, but I made them that way. Most of the ornaments are souvenirs from trips I have taken. Friends of mine buy key chains or ornaments whenever they go on a trip, and when Christmas comes, they remember all the places they have gone and things they have done. I loved the idea and borrowed it. I have a wooden shoe from Amsterdam, Hermione's time turner from Universal Studios,  an elephant ornament from Tanzania, a Disney World keychain, and a Nativity scene made out of olive wood from Israel. The tree skirt is a new addition this year. When I was in Tanzania, each member of the mission team received a large swath of material. This material is traditionally worn as a skirt, but to be honest, mine has stayed in the closet. I really wanted a tree skirt and chose to use the Tanzania gift. It isn't Christmasy but it fits the feel and theme of the tree better than any store bought item. Each year my tree will look different as I add more. I love the potential this little inanimate object has.

My mom would make my younger brother and I help decorate the tree growing up. Maybe it was because there were so many ornaments and icicles that she wanted help or maybe she wanted the family to do something together during Christmas, or maybe she wanted to relive all the memories from the dozens of ornaments we made at school. I think she may still have the ice cream cone ornament I made in kindergarten. Regardless of her reasons, I didn't want to do it when I was a teenager. The word "teenager" should give all the reasons why I dreaded when she would ask us to come help. I was rebellious, and now I am ashamed of my behavior. Now, I see why she enjoyed decorating the tree. There is joy in remembering the past, relishing in the present, and looking forward to the future. There is joy in preparing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorial of Genocide

Week One

Language of Remembering