Accepting: A Charlie Brown Christmas

Every time I hear Vince Guaraldi's music from A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965), specifically "Linus and Lucy," I begin to do the dance. Sometimes the dance is just in my head, but sometimes other get to "enjoy" it. It is joyful and reminds you of the good and simple things of life. Disgusted with the materialism and consumerism he sees, Charlie Brown tries different ways to figure out the true meaning of Christmas. Spoiler alert: he finds it. At the time it was ground breaking for an animated special: it did not use a laugh track, real children voiced the characters, it had a blatant message, and executives did not want the Bible quoted. Charlie Brown is now a Christmas staple for many. If you have never seen this 25 minutes of greatness, go and rent it or find it online. The music is brilliant, and the story is poignant.

I identify with Charlie Brown in so many ways. I am busy trying to do so much that I feel as though I do nothing meaningful. I want more, and I feel that more is demanded of me. As Christmas nears, I often feel drained. I suspect that I am not alone. We get so caught up in the season that we often forget the real meaning and true joy it is supposed to bring. We forget to accept what we have and who we have. We forget what contentment is. We forget grace. Why is it that one of the best seasons of the year often brings out the worst in us as individuals? We forget what Christmas is all about. Fortunately, Linus steps up and reminds Charlie Brown, and us, of the true meaning of Christmas:
"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"
That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.
That's what Christmas is all about.


Honorable Mention
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966), narrated by Boris Karloff, cannot be topped (sorry Ron Howard). Simple, sassy, and packing the punch about what Christmas really means. Another life is changed when accepting occurs. Some of my favorite moments from this short are mentioned here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorial of Genocide

Week One

Language of Remembering