Preparing: Favorite Moments from Films

I have a confession to make. I enjoy watching Hallmark's and Lifetime's cheesy Christmas movies. Eek! I know! But there are a couple that are so good. I don't remember which ones exactly, but there are a couple.
Below are some of my favorite moments from my other favorite Christmas movies, quotes taken from IMDb. What are some of yours?


White Christmas (1954)
Phil Davis: My dear partner, when what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting, whatever it is you've got left.
Bob Wallace: When I figure out what that means I'll come up with a crushing reply.

Phil Davis: We wouldn't be any good as generals.
Gen. Thomas F. Waverly: You weren't any good as privates.

Bob Wallace: Oh, Phil, when are you gonna learn that girls like that are a dime a dozen?
Phil Davis: Please, don't quote me the price when I haven't got the time.

Sisters Reprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDyybi7t634


How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
Narrator: He puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought... doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps... means a little bit more!

Singer: You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch / You have termites in your smile / You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile / Mr. Gri-inch / Given the choice between the two of you, I'd take the uh... seasick crocodile.

Narrator: Then he slunk to the ice box. He took the Whos' feast, he took the who pudding, he took the roast beast. He cleaned out that ice box as quick as a flash. Why, the Grinch even took their last can of Who hash.


Home Alone (1990) 
Kevin McCallister: [preparing to meet bandits and loading the rifle] This is it! Don't get scared now!
Kevin McCallister: You guys give up yet? Or are you thirsty for more?
Because who doesn't enjoy seeing Joe Pesci's head lit on fire by a blow torch or hear Daniel Stern's high pitch scream when the tarantula crawls across his face?

Gangster 'Johnny': Who is it?
Pizza Boy: It's Little Nero's, sir. I have your pizza.
Gangster 'Johnny': Leave it at the doorstep and get the hell outta here.
Pizza Boy: Okay, but what about the money?
Gangster 'Johnny': What money?
Pizza Boy: Well, you'll have to pay for your pizza, sir.
Gangster 'Johnny': How much do I owe ya?
Pizza Boy: That'll be $11.80, sir.
[Kevin drops the money from the dog door]
Gangster 'Johnny': Keep the change, ya filthy animal.
Pizza Boy: Cheapskate.
[starts to leave, but is stopped by Johnny's next line]
Gangster 'Johnny': Hey, I'm gonna give you to the count of ten, to get your ugly, yella, no-good keister off my property, before I pump your guts full of lead! 1, 2, 10!
[machine gun fire; Pizza Boy runs from the house and speeds away in the delivery car]

Harry: [Marv brings a load of stolen goods from the Murphy household to the van and Harry sees him laughing] What's so funny? What are you laughing at? You did it again didn't you? You left the water running. What's wrong with you? Why do you do that? I told you not to do it.
Marv: Harry, it's our calling card!
Harry: Calling card.
Marv: All the great ones leave their mark. We're the wet bandits!


The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite stories, and I have seen most of the versions. This one is my favorite. Who can resist the Muppets? Answer: no one.

Gonzo: Hello! Welcome to the Muppet Christmas Carol! I am here to tell the story.
Rizzo the Rat: And I am here for the food.

Kermit the Frog: If you please Mr. Scrooge, it's gotten colder, and the bookkeeping staff would like an extra shovel full of coal for the fire?
Rat #1: We can't do the bookkeeping, all our pens have turned to inkcicles!
Rat #2: Our assets are frozen!
Ebenezer Scrooge: How would the bookkeeping staff like to be suddenly... UNEMPLOYED?
Rats: [singing] HEAT WAVE. This is my island in the sun...

Ebenezer Scrooge: What right have you to be merry? You're poor enough.
Fred: What right have you to be dismal? You're rich enough.
Rizzo the Rat: He's got 'im there. The old boy's speechless!
Ebenezer Scrooge: If I could work my will, every idiot who goes around with "a Merry Christmas" on his lips would be cooked with his own turkey and buried with a stake of holly through his heart!
Rizzo the Rat: Well, not quite speechless

Rizzo the Rat: Light the lamp, not the rat, light the lamp, not the rat! Put me out, put me out, put me out!

Ghost of Christmas Past: I told you, these are the shadows of the things that have been. That they are what they are, do not blame me.


The Santa Clause (1994)
Neil: What about Santa's reindeer? Have you even seen a reindeer fly?
Charlie: Yes.
Neil: Well, I haven't.
Charlie: Have you ever seen a million dollars?
Neil: No.
Charlie: Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean is doesn't exist.

E.L.F.S. Leader: Tinsel. Not just for decoration.


Det. Nunzio: [after Scott got arrested] Look, I know you're Scott Calvin. You know you're Scott Calvin. So let's make this simple: I say 'name', you say 'Scott Calvin'.
[gestures Scott to come close]
Det. Nunzio: Name?
Scott Calvin: Kris Kringle.
Det. Nunzio: Name?
Scott Calvin: Sinterklaas.
Det. Nunzio: [annoyed] Name!
Scott Calvin: Pere Noel. Babbo Natale. Pelznickel.
[imitates Ed Sullivan]
Scott Calvin: Topo Gigio!
Det. Nunzio: Okay, Calvin, maybe a couple of hours in the tank will change your mind.

Dr. Pete Novos: I don't know, Scott. You're as healthy as a horse.
Scott Calvin: Yeah! Clydesdale!


Elf (2003)
Buddy: [phone rings, Buddy picks it up] Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?


Gimbel's Manager: Why are you smiling like that?
Buddy: I just like to smile, smiling's my favorite

Buddy: You smell like beef and cheese, you don't smell like Santa.

Buddy: You sit on a throne of lies!

Buddy: SANTA! OH MY GOD! SANTA'S COMING! I KNOW HIM! I KNOW HIM

The Very First Noel (2006)
I do not have any quotes from this video. It is animated, less than 30 minutes, and delightful. It is a retelling of the Nativity from the wise men's perspective, narrated by Andy Griffith who voices one of the wise men. The entire film is in rhyme, but it is not annoying. My favorite part is the soundtrack.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorial of Genocide

Week One

Language of Remembering