Preparing: Family Traditions
This post was originally supposed to be happy, joyous, and full of fa-la-la-la-las. But I just can't right now. I want to write about family traditions and what my family does at Christmas, but my heart is filled with an ache for a family of my own and a yearning to start my own family traditions. I get the singleness blahs around the holidays, some years are worse than others. I see couples spending time together, parents deciding on what to buy for their children, and families figuring out the when to go to all the families' Christmas gatherings. I know in some respects singleness is a blessing. I have less people to buy for if I choose and I only have one family I to spend the holidays with. My life is simpler in a lot of ways. I recognize this. But that ache in my heart is still there, refusing to go away, longing to be filled.
The picture above is of some of the stockings hanging in my grandpa's basement. Every year, my mom's side of the family gets together at my grandpa's house to open presents one at a time, eat, talk, eat, and talk some more. My aunt started making these stockings years ago, and everyone has one. They are all unique, and each person recognizes their own (mine is the second from the left, top row). I have had the same stocking my whole life. We now have about 20 stockings. When I think of Christmas with my family, I think of these stockings. We are all very different people in my family, but we do make time to celebrate Christmas together. We are like the stockings. Different but together.
In my apartment, I don't have a stocking. I would like to, but it seems weird to me to have one stocking hanging from the mantle. I don't want to have two because the second would not be for anyone--empty and without meaning. Someday I hope to have a mantle, and maybe even a wall filled with stockings, but for now, it is not this day.
The picture above is of some of the stockings hanging in my grandpa's basement. Every year, my mom's side of the family gets together at my grandpa's house to open presents one at a time, eat, talk, eat, and talk some more. My aunt started making these stockings years ago, and everyone has one. They are all unique, and each person recognizes their own (mine is the second from the left, top row). I have had the same stocking my whole life. We now have about 20 stockings. When I think of Christmas with my family, I think of these stockings. We are all very different people in my family, but we do make time to celebrate Christmas together. We are like the stockings. Different but together.
In my apartment, I don't have a stocking. I would like to, but it seems weird to me to have one stocking hanging from the mantle. I don't want to have two because the second would not be for anyone--empty and without meaning. Someday I hope to have a mantle, and maybe even a wall filled with stockings, but for now, it is not this day.

Comments