My Jeopardy! Story: The Audition

The audition was 2.5 hours long. There were 40 of us during this time slot and we were all in a room together at the beginning. There was a mix of men and women, and it seemed like people were in the 30-50 age bracket. A few of the producers came in and while one took attendance the others took polaroids of each of us. We were then divided into two groups and taken to different rooms. The audition portion was about to begin. First they explained a little how the show works. Did you know that contestants cannot signal/ring in to answer until Alex has finished reading the answer and the signal indicator lights turn on? If you ring in too early, the system freezes you out for 1/4 of a second, which is plenty of time for someone else in the Jeopardy! world. In order to get used to not answering too early we had a little practice. On a big screen at the front of the room a question would flash up, the producer would read it, but we could not raise our hands to answer until she had finished reading the question. She would call on someone until the correct answer was said. Next up was another test with similar layout as the online test. I felt really good about it, and some of the questions asked were ones I had seen going through Trivial Pursuit cards in preparation. While the producers graded our quizzes, Jimmy from the Clue Crew talked with us about the show and what to expect if we were one of the chosen few (see the Short Version). His job is to travel the world and write, video, and record clues they use on the show. He also explained what the set looked like and gave us pointers on how to practice for Jeopardy! at home. When they tape the shows they shoot 5 in one day and tape two days a week for 46 weeks of programming. If you do the math that means Alex Trebek works 2 days/week for 23 weeks. Nice!

This picture was taken during the audition by Shane Keyser at The Kansas City Star. To read their article click here. Even if I don't make it to the show, I made it in the paper. Yeah baby!
The producers came back in and now it was time for the mock Jeopardy! and interview portion. Next to the large screen at the front was the judges' table and the equipment which registered our signals and showed the producers the answer. This portion of the audition was video taped. They called us up randomly (to me at least) 3 at a time. The "contestants" would play the game with the producers interjecting, "louder" and "more energy" where they saw fit. When the producers were satisfied, we put the buzzers down and they interviewed us. The interview was based on 5 interesting facts about ourselves we submitted with usual paperwork when we arrived for the audition. When the interviews were over the contestants sat down and another three were called up and on and on until everyone in the room had gone. When I was thinking about the audition I was thinking that the mock game and the interviews would be done in small groups or individually, not in front of an audience. Oh well! I appreciated how they tried to make it as realistic as possible. I did ok on the mock game. I realized I don't know as much as I thought I did (yay humility!), but I do know with confidence what I know. That really helped me out with one of the categories--Rodgers & Hammerstein. Throughout the audition the producers were doing their best to make it fun and to get our energy up by singing, trying to get us to dance, and making a lot of jokes. Entering into that spirit, I correctly answered one of the R&H questions (or is that correctly questioned one of the answers?) with, "What is Oklahoma?" One of the producers, Maggie, said "Correct, but we're not going to sing this time." I said, "What?! I'm ready to sing! You can't set me up for it and then take it away!" She said, "You just took it back. I like that. Sing!"...So I did. Just a little, but I did it with gusto in front of a room full of people. I will make a fool of myself in front of people, but singing in public is a whole other horror story. I think it won me a few points. The interview went ok too. Most of the people in the room were lawyers and doctors, and to be honest, I felt out of place. I realized that I need to brush up on the interesting side of myself. Most of the other people auditioning had auditioned multiple times before, and here was me fresh out of the gate. At the end of each interview, Maggie asked everyone what they would do with the money they won. Do you know the 2 most often answers? To pay off student debt and to travel. It struck as an honest assessment of society. We have grand dreams, but we are restricted by the debts we carry. Carry on. After the mock game and interviews were completed, they thanked us again for our time, and gave us all the little blue bag of headphones you can see in the picture below. The pen was ours to use during the test and also as a practice signaling button in the future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorial of Genocide

Week One

Language of Remembering