The Perfect Visit
Today, I realized I never will have perfect teeth.
It all started a year ago with one cavity with several “suspicious spots” which turned into 7 cavities a week after that (with still many “suspicious spots”). I added mouth wash to my daily regimen of once per day brushing before bed. Six months later I was back at the dentist with a chipped tooth and my very own nightguard to wear for the rest of my life. Can you feel my joy? I began to brush and use mouth wash both mornings and evenings. Don’t worry, there is the occasional flossing tossed in there as well. My goal: to have The Perfect Dental Visit where they tell me, “Everything looks fabulous, your teeth are in great health, keep up the good work, see you in 6.”
Today, I was hopeful. I had been keeping up a good dental regimen and even increased the frequency of flossing (admittedly it would decrease until the next visit loomed on the horizon). I was confident that today was the day of The Perfect Visit. My hopes were high, and I was sure that I would receive the, “Everything looks fabulous, my teeth are in great health, keep up the good work, see you in six.” As I was getting ready I heard a Small Voice in the back of my head, “Beth, this is just another way you are seeking perfection. It’s not the way I want you to be.” In response I inwardly said, “Silly Voice, don’t You know I’m doing (almost) everything possible to have perfect teeth. Sure they will not be blindingly bright or without the big gap in the front, but they will be the healthiest teeth ever.” I turned off my ears to the Voice and continued focusing on the Visit.
Finally, the moment had arrived. The dentist and hygienist were looking over my x-rays. They were going to give me the final okay, except the okay didn’t come. Instead of a “Great job!” I got “You have 3 cavities.” Dang it. It seems all the brushing and mouth wash was not enough to stop some of those suspicious spots from developing into cavities (granted, some it had). While the dentist explained what was going on, that Voice came back and said,”See. I tried to tell you. I am not going to let you have perfect teeth. This is going to be a struggle for you, and I want you to grow. I want you to grow closer to Me.” “Okay, God,” I said. “I understand and I give back a piece of the idol of perfectionism that I have. Please help me recognize and give you more.”
Today, I realized and accepted I will never have perfect teeth.
Comments