Cambodia Flashback

I was sitting in the cafe waiting for the internet to connect (which it wasn't) when the anxious feelings started to creep in. I wanted to leave this place and go somewhere more comfortable. Then I think and realize that this is culture stress. I took a few deep breaths and it was better.

Eating out or going for a drink (smoothie, juice, coffee, milkshake, etc) in another culture is an experience. Fast food places and cafes here are not like the ones in the US. Do I order first and then sit down or sit down first and then order? I wanted to get a piece of pizza for lunch at a place in the mall the other day, but I was unsure about how to answer these questions. Instead, I went to a place where I saw that I ordered first and then enjoyed a piece of pizza (crisis averted!).

There are two options in this situation. First, to turn away and not even try or second, to make the best attempt possible and chance embarrassment and failure. Option 2 is the best, but I must admit I occasionally choose option 1. Both written and spoken languages are very different here so it is not as though I could understand any signs or what other people said. I try to ask questions but many do not understand. I have learned that my frustrations are not as important as trying to demonstrate to the Cambodian people my attempts at partaking in their culture.

This is culture stress. It comes and goes, and most often comes upon you when you are least expecting it. I like to know what is going on, how to be "proper" in various situations, and not to be embarrass myself or offend anyone. This is not always possible, and sometimes failure leads to greater success and more lessons learned. "But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." ~ 2 Co 12:9-10. Tough lessons indeed. But good. Yes, good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorial of Genocide

Week One

Language of Remembering