Israel Flashback #7
Yes, I know my trip to Israel was over a year ago, but 1.) I have not posted all my journal entries yet and 2.) the trip was that amazing. Now commencing my journal entry from 22 May 2010:
Today was a free day but I have to write about the last 2 days. If I have energy I will write about personal thoughts and experiences.
Thursday was not really a biblical experience day. At least it felt that way. We spent the morning snorkeling and swimming in the Red Sea. I'm pretty sure Moses and the gang didn't do that when they left Egypt. It was a LOT of fun though. It was my first time snorkeling, and I would love to do it again. The water was so clear, blue and beautiful!
Afterwards, we went to see a life-size model of the tabernacle. The holy of holies was not as big as I expected. It was a good experience, though, to see how large the tabernacle area was. Just think, each time God wanted to move, the Levites would have to take down the tabernacle in a specific way, put up everything in a specific way, and carry it throughout the desert and wilderness--all the coverigs, poles, walls, items, and clothing. Not to forget carrying the ark as well! this took time and patience. A mistake could mean death and cursing not just of an individual but perhaps also a family. The Levites had to be devoted and committed.
After the tabernacle model we went to the Hai Bar nature preserve--a zoo of biblical animals. While walking along, I saw an injured bird close to the edge of the path. At first I moved it under a bench so it would be out of the way, but then I moved it under a bush/tree into the shade. It looked like it was trying to eat a berry so I thought I would get it some water. I went looking for a bottle cap in which to p[our some water but by the time I got back a minute or two later, the bird was dead. Life is fragile out here in the hot wilderness and sun. Without God's gracious mercy we would all perish.
Friday morning we went up to Herod's palace fortress at Masada. This place was huge! Maybe a football field and a half at least. After Herod, the Zealots used it in the revolt against the Romans. The cliffs around the top are steep with a narrow, winding path up. (I took the cable car.) The slave power it took to maintain the place must have been immense. It shows that money and power can get you what you want, but it cannot get you peace.
After Masada, we went for a float in the Dead Sea. Because of the high salinity, all you can do is float. It is also dangerous to splash the water in case it gets into your eyes.
Our final visit for the day was Qumran. The community there was very serious and dedicated to their religion and what they believed. They had more mikvahs (ritual baths) than what they had people--I think. They spent a lot of time copying down Scriptures and their commentaries. Thanks to them, much of our Old Testament Scriptures have been preserved and defended.
After Qumran, we came up to Jerusalem to spend the night. That means in one day we went from the lowest point on earth to one of the highest areas in Israel. From 1300 feet below sea level to 2500 feet above sea level. From harsh wilderness to green hills. A little after the sun set I was able to look down on the valley and see the coastal plain and the Mediterranean Sea. This land has so much to offer, and each day it grows more and more beautiful. I really think I could live here some day. Or maybe some place like it.
Comments