Israel Flashback #4

Journal entry dated 16 May 2010.

Going to the Herodion helped me understand. It is at a strategic point, and I understand why Herod built a fortress there. From that vantage point one can watch the southern approaches to Jerusalem and even some of the movement in the east at Jericho, even though we couldn't see it today. The Herodion is high enough to see for miles away. I wonder what else we could have seen if the haze had not come.

One thing the Mount of Olives impressed upon me was how small the country of Israel is. From there you could see Nebi Samwell and I imagine even the Herodion if we were on the other side or in a tower. All of Jerusalem, or most of it, could have been surveyed from up there. I realized that I read the Bible with an American perspective on space--everything is spread out with miles and miles between. Nothing of much importance is close together. The same cannot be said of Israel. I am sure that perspective will change as we move out of the Jerusalem area and go north and south.

Looking out from the Herodion, I was struck again by the beauty of the land. No, it is not green and lush. In fact, it looks very foreboding and harsh, but there is a rugged beauty in the valleys and ridges. IT is a hard way of life out there and forces one to trust God in order to survive. Maybe it is ironic, but the two most beautiful things I have seen on this trip so far are the harsh ruggedness of the wilderness and the ornate, delicate decor of the orthodox churches. Two opposite ends of the spectrum. Funny. Normally, I am a middle of the road sort of person.

Comments

- Mighty B said…
You write so beautifully Beth! Thank you for sharing these experiences with us!

Popular posts from this blog

Memorial of Genocide

Week One

Language of Remembering