Cambodia Stories: The Preschool

After looking at my blog, I realized that I did not post as much on this site as I thought I did. My apologies. In the next few weeks I will post various stories and experiences from my time in Cambodia.

THE PRESCHOOL
One of things I have enjoyed the most are the ministries that were not on "the original plan" for the trip. Lisa and I had expected to teach English in a village (didn't happen), work at a ministry that helps women leave the sex trade, teach a couple of weeks at an international school, and volunteer at an orphanage. But we have been involved in so much more. Our team teaches English to Vietnamese kids twice a week, teaches a kids' Sunday school at one of our churches, types up English books for a ministry that does theological education by extension, and participates in a friendship/English outreach once a week. We all have other ministries to suit our personal skills, gifts, and talents.

One of my favorite ministries is ABC-123 Preschool. This preschool was started by our pastor's wife as she felt God calling her to open an English school in order to reach out to non-Christians in the community. She did and hired Christian women to teach. Even though one of these ladies is a mother, they do not have any previous experience teaching at a school or experience with children. When the director heard about my experience, she invited me to come and help. I have spent almost a week there and have loved it! It is not like any childcare center back in the States; some of this is due to the culture and some to the lack of experience. It has been tough at times not to jump in and tell them how things should be done, but God has enabled me to step back, advise when asked, encourage when necessary, and to love on the kids and have fun. I even learned a fun, new song! Even though I only spend a few hours there, they are the best parts of my day. What can I say, I'm a preschooler trapped in an adult body. Sometimes.

My experiences there have shown me that ministry success can happen when people do not have the knowledge or experience. But success happens as long as God has called them to do that work and the people submit themselves to Him. These women love the Lord and live in obedience to Him. They do their best to love and teach the children. God has made the preschool a success. Most of the children speak English very well. They enjoy it there because they know they are safe and loved.

I am very grateful for this experience. It was a surprise and not even planned, but God's plans are bigger and way better than mine. The unexpected is not scary as long as I am trusting the One for whom nothing is unexpected. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,"declares the LORD. ~ Isaiah 55:8.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorial of Genocide

Week One

Language of Remembering