A Corona View from the Other Side of the Ocean
Like many of you, I too have had my daily life affected by
the coronavirus. Last week officials in Austria began issuing travel and
meeting restrictions for the next 2 weeks that then became more drastic and
widespread on Sunday. For the next 4 weeks, we are not allowed to be in public
spaces, we cannot go outside with other people unless we live with them and
have a purpose to be outside, non-essential businesses are closed, travel
restrictions have been enacted, the civil services has been increased and along
with the police will patrol and enforce the restrictions. You can read more
about the restrictions (in German) here.
Sounds almost like living in a militaristic state doesn’t
it? That’s one perspective, and not the one I choose to have. I see it as a
government trying to prevent large-scale infection, sickness, and death using
the resources that they have. Hardly any country in the world took the news
from China seriously at the beginning. Italy is an example as the hospitals are
so overrun with sick people that they are setting up hospitals in arenas. No
one was prepared for a new viral infection in a global world where disease and
disinformation can travel quicker than ever before. Every country has limited
resources, especially if the country has not had an experience with an
epidemic, and Austria has chosen to enact these restrictions as a way to
steward those resources.
How am I doing in the midst of all of this? I’m doing okay,
not surprisingly. I am an introvert and I enjoy spending time in my home. My
times in Ireland helped me prepare for this in a way as I was often homebound
and had to find ways to occupy my days. I have made a list of things I can do,
and I am looking forward to the opportunity this time allows for me to catch up
on the many things that got pushed to the back burner because of the move to
Linz. The challenge through it all will be how to be socially distant but not
socially isolated. This is at the beginning though, so ask me again in a month.
😉
How can we be missional and share God’s love during this
time? A lot of possibilities come to mind: offering to pick up groceries for a
neighbor, writing an encouraging note to someone you haven’t seen in a while, praying
for the nations, and even obeying the measures of the government whether we
like them or not. Are my individual desires to live my life the same as I have
always lived it more important than the health and life of someone else?
Choosing to stay home can communicate care to someone else. And above, don’t
forget to look for the joy and share it. If you have other ideas, I would love
to hear them!
Throughout it all, may we continue to live in the knowledge
and peace that we are not alone and that we are loved more than we will ever
know by an almighty God.
Comments