The Woman at the Well
"I have no husband." ~ John 4:17
I've always wondered about the woman at the well. What was her life like? What was she feeling? How did she get to such a place? Was she weary from all of her burdens? Now that I have met her, none of my questions have a been answered.
I was sitting at a table with 3 Muslim women (Laura, Sarah, and Fiona*) from 2 different countries. We tried to get to know one another through the little bits we knew of German and English. I had told Laura earlier that I was single, and she replied with a smile and a laugh, "Good!" She is married. Fiona asked if I was married, and I told her I wasn't. She responded with, "Then I will pray a husband for you! Every woman should be married." I let that comment slide. She then shared about her family throughout the conversation. To sum it up: 1 child with one husband, 6 children with the other husband, all of them are in her home country, she is in a new country and not sure if she will ever see her kids again which she is ok with, and she is engaged to another man who she will marry when the current marriage is dissolved. Fiona is a modern day woman at the well.
As she revealed her story, I admit I judged her internally. What type of mother is fine to abandon her kids, especially after 2 have died? Why does she value marriage highly with her words, but not with her actions? What kind of an example is she setting for Sarah who is young and unmarried? Did I mention that Fiona is a year younger than I am? Oy vey. The truth is I don't know Fiona. I don't know what pain she has gone through. I don't know what she has suffered. I don't know what her life was like. But, I do know she left her home country for a reason (and no, it wasn't to marry a European), her lack of shame is most likely a defense mechanism, and she is looking for love, safety, and security. Aren't we all?
My questions about the woman at the well have not been answered, and that's ok. I don't need them answered. I don't need to know more about Fiona in order to respond to her and to love her. I have the example of Jesus for that. He offered truth, acceptance, and transformation to the woman at thewell well. This isn't the way life has to be. And the woman not only believed but shared with others. She changed. Fiona doesn't have to go from man to man to find what she's looking for because her heart's desire is found in Christ. I may never see her again, but if I do I know the One to show her.
*Names have been changed for security purposes.
Comments