My Jeopardy! Story: The Episode

Spoiler alert: This post will reveal the results of my time on Jeopardy! If you don't want to know, don't read on.

The worst part of the show was at the very beginning when each contestant was announced. We had to simply stand there and smile at the camera while the announcer talked. It was only 15 seconds but it felt like 15 hours. The next 25ish minutes were a bit of a blur. I was in game mode and came to play and win. I was focused on the game board, the indicator lights, and Alex's voice. I didn't really pay attention to anything else. Rock and roll!

ROUND 1
Categories: Curry Dishes, Looney Tunes Characters, The 1920s, National Labs, Bible Book Names, Complete the Proverb
As the categories are revealed I am thinking: Curry--ok, Looney Tunes--definitely got this, 1920s-meh, National Labs--what is this category about? i'm not going to know anything, Bible Names--oh yeah! it's time seminary paid off, Proverb--this could go wither way. Sean as champion gets to choose first. I know the answer and buzz in. Alex calls my name. Wait, he called my name?! Now I have to speak?! Correct answer! Looney Tunes and so forth. I wanted to play conservatively. If I didn't know an answer I wasn't going to buzz in because it wouldn't deduct from my amount. Timing on buzzing in is important and hard. I buzzed in quite a bit but just wasn't fast enough. Finally, all the categories were cleared except one--National Labs. I have no plans to buzz in at all and I spent the time silently praying that the guys would go through it quickly so I can get back in the game.

DOUBLE JEOPARDY

Interview portion of the show: This was another portion I was dreading. Again, all the attention would be on me for that short time and you do not know how hard it was for me to think up interesting facts and stories about myself. They producers and I chose cave-diving in Japan, one of the most terrifying experiences in my life. Yes, I am afraid of the dark and small spaces. I went on this trip because it was a ministry outing. It took 2 dear friends, reciting Scripture, and praying to get me through it. No, Alex, I do NOT recommend cave-diving. Run away! Run far away!

Categories: Steph Curry Dishes, First Aid Strategems, Nonfiction, Shakespeare, Seas, "War" Words
I know this round will be tougher and the categories prove it. I don't know who Steph Curry is. Isn't he that guy that became viral for taking a picture with his daughter? Oh. He's a basketball player. Nonfiction could mean anything. Shakespeare tends to get really detailed but it could still go well. Seas would be geography and that has potential. I thought the "war" category would be more about history--nope. I was once certified in first aid so I started there. And the game is on. Not surprised that this version of curry dishes leaves me in the dust, except for the one about Dirk Nowitski. I knew that one! Being the geography bee champion in 5th and 6th grade is starting pay off as I am doing well with Seas. That Sulu question? The hesitancy in my voice absolutely did NOT come from the fact that I was unsure of the answer. I am a nerd. I was raised on Star Trek. I know very well who George Takei is and who he played. Before the taping, the producers reminded us to be careful in how we answered. The judges were very strict and  would count the answer wrong if it wasn't precise (A Midsummers Night's Dream, anyone?). I had not heard of this sea, and I am debating in my mind whether it is Sulu Sea or Sea of Sulu. My uncertainty came from how to phrase the answer and not the answer itself. Star Trek. Pfftt. Of course I know Star Trek. Being a nerd pays off! More questions, time runs out and it's on to Final Jeopardy.

FINAL JEOPARDY
Clue: Pop Music History
My first thought when I saw this clue? Oh crap. I don't know much about music history, especially pop music. It is likely that I will not know the answer. It is more likely that Tom and Sean do know the answer. Off camera and next to the game board are three screens that show each players amount. They way you know how you are doing with respect to the other contestants. I am in 3rd place with $4800. There is no way to catch up to Sean who has over $20,000. Tom is in 2nd place with $8400. I might be able to beat him for 2nd place, but only if I know and he doesn't. Again, slim chances. So how do I bid? You can bet anywhere up to the amount that you have. Do I go for it and bet it all (you only live once)? Do I continue to play conservatively? I was tempted to bet it all. Why not? I made it to final Jeopardy and the least I will walk away with is the 3rd place prize of $1000. It's more than I came with. This is where my vanity kicked in a bit. I had two subconscious goals--not to answer a question incorrectly and not to have $0 or negative. If I bet everything and get it wrong then I will have $0. I just couldn't do it so I bet enough to give me a big push and if I lost it would leave me with a little.

Music is not my strong suit but movies are and when I see the word "blockbuster" I think of movies. So I thought of movies that came out in 1984 (when I was 2-years-old by the way) that had well-known soundtracks. I could think of some for 1985 but not 1984. Time was running out so I wrote down my answer--The Terminator. I knew it was wrong but oh well. As Alex came over to reveal I happened to think of Thriller and mentally kicked myself but too late now. My answer was incorrect, the amount deducted and on to Tom. Tom's answer is revealed...and it was nonexistent. He bet everything. That meant I was in 2nd place and would receive $2000. I couldn't believe it! I love a great twist at the end of a story and this was a doozy of a twist that worked in my favor!

Sean won and the show was over. They unmiked us and we walk downstage to talk with Alex while the credits rolled. Alex apologized for messing up my interview which wasn't a big deal. We all chatted a bit more and then left the stage. Sean had to go and change for the next episode, and I chose to sit with my guests in the audience to watch the next show and cheer on Sean. The pressure was off and now I could enjoy the game I love so much. I knew the contestants having spent the morning with them, and as you know, when you know a contestant you become invested in the game. I was on cloud nine for the rest of the day. Part of me still couldn't believe it happened, and I was glad I had people come with me to serve as witnesses. Now I cheer on Sean and the other contestants and wait for that special check in the mail. Nope, not here yet!

Best of luck Sean!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorial of Genocide

Week One

Language of Remembering