Israel Flashback #1
One of our assignments on the trip was to reflect upon what we were seeing. I do not particularly like journaling (although I see its benefits), and I do not like being told to journal. Since it was an assignment, I did it, and I can humbly say that I am grateful for this assignment. How else could I have recorded or responded to a trip that probably has changed my life? Below is my first journal entry followed by reflections I had today. I am almost done putting together my photos so those will be coming soon.
I was reading Acts 3 this morning and was encouraged as I read about the beggar laying "at the gate called Beautiful" as Peter and John entered the temple. I know where that is! I have seen it! Places mentioned in the Bible are no longer abstract. I see them and the land as I read. The Bible is no longer words on a page but hills and valleys, rocks and shrubs, sea and desert, and a small patch of earth that God chose to be His promised land. My doubts from the beginning of the trip are erased. I am reading the Bible differently, but more importantly I have a deeper desire to draw close to the One who wrote the story of life. Amen!
Yesterday (11 May) Kevin and I went to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher where Christ was crucified and buried. Briefly = 10 minutes max, and I had my sunnis on. I say this because I didn't feel anything special about the place. Was it because I couldn't really see? Because we didn't have ea lot of time to explore and feel? Kevin says it was tiredness from jetlag. Probably it's a combination. It worries me a little. What if this trip doesn't change me? What if I approach the Bible in the same way? LORD, please open the eyes of my heart and soften it. Please let me see You in Your land.
I was reading Acts 3 this morning and was encouraged as I read about the beggar laying "at the gate called Beautiful" as Peter and John entered the temple. I know where that is! I have seen it! Places mentioned in the Bible are no longer abstract. I see them and the land as I read. The Bible is no longer words on a page but hills and valleys, rocks and shrubs, sea and desert, and a small patch of earth that God chose to be His promised land. My doubts from the beginning of the trip are erased. I am reading the Bible differently, but more importantly I have a deeper desire to draw close to the One who wrote the story of life. Amen!
Comments